Monday, September 28, 2015

Wanna Get Married?

When my  mother was the age I am now, she had been widowed two years.

I knew at the time that she was widowed at a fairly young age. Of course now, looking from this side of it, I understand it even more.

I remember about a year after Daddy died, I brought up the subject of her dating and possibly remarrying.

She set me straight right quick. She said that although she'd bring my daddy back in a heartbeat if he could be healthy, she had no intentions of getting involved with a man, ever again.

My parents' marriage was somewhat rocky at times, what with Daddy  not ever wanting to grow up and take responsibility.

And she didn't seem to mind living alone after Daddy died, and then her mother dying, either. 

I've wondered about myself. Would I want to get married again? I don't know. I can't imagine living without Husband, much less living with some other feller.

Besides, who the heck would put up with living with  me?

I have seen people get married in their geriatric years. I had a great-aunt (by marriage) who remarried in her seventies. They traveled and seemed to have a pretty good old time. She outlived him, too. I think she was ninety-six when she died. She never had children, so maybe that was one reason she wanted someone to share more of her life.

It certainly would have been strange for me to have a "step-father". I was thirty-four when Daddy died, not in much need of a new daddy.

And I have found amazing resistance from grown children who fought for the parent to  not remarry.

Is that any of their business? Sheesh.

Anyway, food for thought today. 

I hope for most of us, it is only thought and never a reality that we have to face - to live alone - or chose another.



No comments :

Post a Comment