Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Unexpected

The husband of an older couple we know asked me the other day if I liked to read. I said I was an avid reader. 

He told me he is getting rid of almost all his books, and if I wanted to come pick out some, let him know.

Husband and I went to their home today and brought back to our home two big boxes full of all sorts of books, and his book shelves were still full.

He says they are cleaning out stuff they don't need so it won't be a burden on their daughters.

The couple happen to be in their eighties.

He started showing me all the "stuff" they  have that no one will want, and just shook his head. 

I spied something that made my  heart skip a beat. "You've got a typewriter!" I exclaimed.

"Yep. Want it?"

Want it? WANT it? 

"Seriously?" I asked. This was too good to be true.

But he was serious. Husband carried it out to the car for me. 

Here are two of my innermost fears: If we were to go "off the grid", how would I be able to get to the library to steal   borrow books? And secondly, if computers and word processors no longer worked, how could I write books? My hands are in too bad a shape to write longhand.

Stop laughing at me!  I know we need food and stuff, too.

But now, I am the proud owner of a Royal manual typewriter. I'm going to Google ribbons for it and buy a bunch. Clean it up and  maybe even type on it a little.

Very little, because it's going to take a lot of arm strength to use it, but boy, oh, boy, what a surprise.

Felt a lot like  Christmas morning. 

No comments :

Post a Comment