Tuesday, September 22, 2015

How the Heck Did THAT Happen?

Is it just me? I mean, I have had some really weird stuff happen, and wondered if you have, too.

For instance: (and where do I begin?) One night I was walking right at dusk. I used to do this every evening that I could, because I sat a lot at my desk and walking made me feel better. Anyway, it was snowing, and the ground was covered, maybe a quarter inch. This was long before the road was paved, so I made no sound when I walked. As I topped the hill above our house, I came face to face with about a dozen deer - a buck and his does. They were as startled as I, and all were staring at me, frozen. I froze too. Deer are pretty big up close, and I suddenly realized they could run toward me and trample me. I ain't never been scared of deer before. But instead, the buck snorted, stomped his feet and they took off away from me, down the road. My heart was beating so fast I didn't figure I needed any more aerobic exercise for the day and I went back to the house.

One morning I was sitting in the kitchen at the bay window and watched a Red Tail Hawk land on a limb in the tree in my yard. This is unusual, they usually stay away from the yard. I realized he was keeping his eye on the blue bird house. Mama and Papa blue bird got really anxious, in fact they were in a frenzy, as the hawk began to swoop around their house. He was trying to figure out how to get the babies.

Incensed, I ran through the house onto the porch. I leaned over the banisters, yelling at the hawk to get lost. Next thing I knew he was flying toward me. He sailed right by my nose and if looks could kill, I'd be graveyard dead. 

Coming home from the lake a few years ago, we decided to unload the car, regardless of our tired state. All three of us made a few loads. I glanced back toward my family. Daughter walked down the sidewalk toward the  house as we had done half a dozen times. But this time I noticed a silhouette of a snake's head. He was coiled up in the V of the tree, inches from where our legs had been walking back and forth. Husband shot it because it was a Copperhead.

And the last thing for today doesn't involve animals - at least the woodland kind.

I was at a  high school football game and we were playing our most hated rival. (Yes, I was still in high school. They had to keep running the dinosaurs off the field.) Lots of the boys in the bleachers were drunk, there was a lot of murmuring about after game fights, etc.

One of the inebriated boys was sitting on the bleacher right above me. Suddenly he was pushing me and yelling at me. When I could finally understand what he was saying, I tried to get away, but it was sorta too late. 

Someone had thrown a fire cracker from behind the bleachers and it had landed under my cushion. It exploded, blistering my butt (pardon my French) and leaving me deaf for a few days in my right ear. Didn't do much for the cushion, either. 

There's more where that came from, too. But you'll be glad to know I'm finished for the day.  

No comments :

Post a Comment