Thursday, April 23, 2015

No mail, man?

For the first time in years we received absolutely no mail yesterday. Not a scrap of sales paper, not a piece of junk mail. No bills, no letters, no nuthin.

It wasn't a holiday, either. Unless you count Earth Day. The federal government doesn't count Earth Day, do they?

I didn't mind an empty box. Usually our mailman is the middle man anyway: from our box, to our hands, to our trash can.

And I don't know anybody in their right mind who is eager to get a bill of any sort.

I did, however; get a letter a few weeks ago. First one of those I've received in a long, long time. It was actually a fan letter of sorts. I know you find this hard to believe, but I don't get many of those.

That would be  none, before this one.

This person spoke of how proud they were of my accomplishments in the writing field, and how eager they were to read my new book as soon as it arrived.

This person lives in a another state and was ordering my book on-line.

There's another big dollar for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad  my books are available on-line for those who can't get them any other way. But it's pretty close to giving them away for me; if you compare what I make handing it to you from the back of my car.

I digress. I don't write to make a buck, although that's nice and enables me to write and publish again someday.

I write because I have to get all those voices and plots out of my head and onto paper. I need to write.

Bringing this all back around, write me a letter, send me a check, and I'll mail you a book.

That way you won't have the trauma we had yesterday when we opened our mailbox to find nothing but stale air.

It was heart breaking.

Seriously.


No comments :

Post a Comment