Friday, November 7, 2014

Spoons

If you gave me lots of money and turned me loose in a department store, I wouldn't go to the shoe department, the clothing department, or the sports department.

I would head straight to the home decor.

I am a sucker for quilts, china, towels, pillows, rugs, etc.

When I was a very young adult, I found a flatware pattern that I fell in love with. I saved up my money and when Service Merchandise Mart (remember them?) had a special sell, I purchased a serving for four.

I wanted more, because I wanted to have enough matching stuff to have company over.

My grandparents got wind of this and purchased me a serving of six for Christmas.

They look the same, but the set they purchased is much heavier. You can lift a fork from each piece, one in your left hand and one in your right hand, and tell a good bit of difference.

But if you look in my spoon drawer, it doesn't look like I care if it matches or not.

Because there you will find a dozen different patterns of spoons, and I love each and every one of them.

When Husband's father was still alive, he got a kick out of going to restaurants that were closing to pilfer through their close out sale. He loved junk stores, too. And he always bought the spoons.

He gave us a bunch of them once, and we have enjoyed them ever since.

Every time I use one, wash one, or dry one, I think fondly of him.

I miss him still.

No comments :

Post a Comment