Monday, August 4, 2014

High School Annuals

I was looking through my mother's high school annual yesterday. The name was the Arrow Head and it was published in 1946.

Two things got my attention: The first was many of my mother's teachers were also my teachers. However; by the time I got them they was used up and near dead.

In Mother's annual, they are young, unlined, and many still unmarried. The bloom of youth was in their faces. They looked eager and  hopeful.

When I got 'em, middle age had severely advanced upon them, if not geriatrics. They had grown  kids, they were lined, grey haired and pooped.

No wonder I misuse the English language like I do. I thought it was because I'm from the south.

The second thing that struck me was how some people in the annual look just like people I have known. One girl in particular looks exactly like a lady I knew growing up who wasn't even from here.
I know  you could say, well the gene pool was mighty small in isolated areas back then, they were probably kin.

Maybe so,  but in looking at names and knowing folks, I don't think so.

Yet, a half dozen people were strikingly similar to another half dozen people I know.

But you know, when you think about it, how many different ways can a mouth, nose, eyes and chin be structured? How many eye and hair and skin colors are there?

It's a wonder we don't all look like each other's twin, or at least first cousin twice removed.

And while I'm at it, don't you look familiar to me?

No comments :

Post a Comment