Friday, October 11, 2013

Let It Snow!

For two nights running I have dreamed that there was snow on the ground.

I figure the third time is the charm, and if I can swing a dream like that tonight, we might have snow in October.

It won't be the first time. I can remember snow in October many times throughout my life.

And don't start whining about it, you know even if we got a snow in October it would not be deep nor would it last.

One of the dire predictions around these here parts is we are gonna have a terrible winter because there are squirrels/bears/deer/turkey and everything else you can think of running amok amongst us in more numbers than anyone has ever seen.

What, are they doing last minute shopping at Wal-mart before they get snowed in?

I don't know why lots of them being seen would have anything to do with upcoming weather - but hey - I'll pass it along.

I'm more fer it than agin it.

I admit to having a skewed memory of excessively cold snowy winters. To me it was all about missing school, playing outside until I couldn't feel my feet, coming in, thawing out and going back out for more. And eating snow cream in between.

I wasn't the one laying in the snow putting chains on the tires, or laying in the middle of the living room floor covered in soot trying to unstop the chimney so the heater would work.

That would have been my cussin', tool slangin' daddy.

I don't know what Mother was doing, maybe in the kitchen making snow cream.

Of course I prefer my cold snowy winter with electricity in my house. It isn't as much fun when the power is out and we are camping out in the living room with a smelly generator roaring outside so we don't lose everything in the refrigerator/freezer and can flush the commodes.

For now, I don't want to look at the nasty realities of a hard winter. I want to dream and romanticize it.

Crackling fire, cozy quilt, good book and snow falling gently outside my window.

Let it snow!

No comments :

Post a Comment