Saturday, March 19, 2016

A Tale of Two Dishwashers

I don't usually talk about them, because it sounds (to me) like I'm bragging that I  have not one, but two, dishwashers.

When the dishwasher drawers first came out, I thought it was a swell idea. Since the one we had put in when we first built the house sounded like a 747 was landing in the room when it ran, we had to be selective about the timing for our dishes to be washed.

Then the dishes started coming out nearly as dirty as when they went in.

I knew I was retiring shortly, and that our income would plummet; we figured the time to buy a new dishwasher was at hand. Seeing the new drawer dishwashers set my little heart a pitter pattering. We were going to buy one and have a big, deep drawer put underneath it.

However; because of having to move plumbing and electrical mess around, and having the drawer built, it was going to cost us more than purchasing a second dishwasher to go under the top one.

So, we did the cheaper thing.

You get used to things quickly. For nearly thirteen years I have been accustomed to two dishwashers. One always being loaded, then when full to run, the other one being emptied of clean so it could be loaded. 

My kitchen has very little counter space. I built it for a dishwasher. I actually said when we were building, "If we only have enough money for a stove or a dishwasher, the dishwasher wins."

And, now, suddenly, I have NO working dishwasher. 

Through a handful of circumstances that I won't go into here, the saga continues. Husband, Daughter, and I are getting pruney fingered and we don't like it one bit.

I was going to give up dish washing for lent, but my family protested too much. 

Somebody, please, invite us over for supper and don't let us even think about washing dishes!

No comments :

Post a Comment