Wednesday, February 7, 2018

My Hands are Tied

As some of you know, my left hand is in a cast about half way up my lower arm.

I also have carpel tunnel in my right hand, and I am supposed to sleep in a brace at night.

I am fearful of clocking myself (or Husband or worse cats!) upside of the head when I am sleeping; though that is intermittent at best.

Talk about awkward! I never realized just how left handed I really am. I mean, I knew I use my left hand more than most right handed people. I can use either except for writing, and eating is strange using my left hand. But everything else my left  hand is - well, handy. It has always been my stronger hand.

There are these little knots that have formed in the palm of my hands. It is some kind of condition passed through Scandinavian blood. I am fully Scots/Irish/Cherokee except one of my 32 great-great-great-grandmothers was Dutch. Thanks a lot, Betsy. Why couldn't she have passed on the ability to grow great tulips or something? But noooo, she has to pass on something that may cause my fingers to bend toward my palm. Sheesh.

My grandfather had it. My aunt had it. I guess it's my turn.

And not to be too graphic, but just imagine trying to pull up your drawers with a cast on one hand and a brace on the other.

Uh-huh. Not a pretty sight. Not that it was in the first place, but I need sympathy here.


Now I know how those lobsters in the tank at Red Lobster feel with their little hands tied together. Aren't you ashamed that you eat them?

No?

Well, you should be.

That's not to say I wouldn't, if I could. But I can't hold anything with which to eat without looking like a two year old.

However; this too shall pass.

After all, (as of today) I am only 64 years old. Plenty of time for something new to tear up or wear out.

Strolls off humming happy birthday to self.

2 comments :

  1. Kathi, I, too, am awfully left-handed for a right-handed person. Isn't it funny, and you and I aren't even related by blood? I only write, or handle my 34 ounce water jug, with my right-hand, but most other things I do with whichever hand is handy at the moment, and I can only cut meat with a steak knife using my left. I always carried my heavy tool box in Design school on the left, and have always had better muscle definition on that side. Also, I've always held a writing instrument like a left-handed person, only in the wrong hand.

    I'm sorry to learn of your troubles.

    Love, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    For some reason I wasn't notified of a comment and just now saw it! Anna Kate, who is right handed, cuts her meat with her left hand, holds a bat left handed a well as a guitar. (Maybe that's why she can't play! Ha) This must be something that "runs in the family".

    ReplyDelete