Monday, August 3, 2015

Don't do That

Daughter has a friend who was in a bad motorcycle accident a few years back. He was hurt pretty seriously, and was out of work for some time.

But, of course, he didn't stop riding. So, yesterday he was in another, much worse accident, not only hurting himself but grievously injuring his girlfriend.

I see fatal motorcycle accidents in the news (sometimes local) every day.

Yet, people continue to ride them.   You may be one of those people who choose to do so.

I admit, I don't understand it. We are crazy enough to go zooming down the road in a hunk of metal. But wrapped in...nothing?

Sorry, I don't understand.

I remember when I was a kid, a friend of mine had a bicycle that was in pretty good shape except for the brakes.

There weren't any.

So, naturally my silly mother told me I better not get on that bike; or else.

Of course, I didn't. Not until I got out of sight of the house, then, of course, I did.

The or else  turned out to be falling off the back of the bike due to a hard bump. We happened to be going down a hill pretty fast, so I fell pretty hard. I landed on my left arm, and cut and scraped my elbow, leaving a fine scar as of today.

My friend freaked out and stopped the bike by dragging her toe on the pavement.

She didn't have on shoes at the time.

The point is, I guess, is if you do something dangerous I reckon you should expect eventual consequences.

Whether it be a scarred elbow or a fractured skull.

PS: Please don't send me messages about how wonderful the freedom is of riding down the rode with nothing to hinder you (like a car).  I don't particularly want to offend you, but I don't want to hear it.

No comments :

Post a Comment