Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2019

Kathi looks back at the year 2019. Has to lie down.

WHEW!

I'll say one thing for last year, it was different.

In February I suddenly couldn't walk. That is a very scary thing, please don't try it.  I was in a wheel chair for more than four months. Thanks to aquatic physical therapy and major medications, I was able to start walking again without surgery.

But when I was slap dab in the middle of physical therapy I got sick. Sick like I ain't never been sick before. I had blood sepsis, the e-coli kind and like ta died. After being in the hospital for six days, I got to go home.

It was a month before I was able to restart physical therapy, and some of the pain has never left me. 

Daughter totaled her car in a horrific wreck that pretty much left her unscathed. She'd been out of debt for two weeks. Hello, car payments.

Our beloved Frost died. We are still grieving.

Christmas was different.  Other Brother and his son had the "real" flu, and his son's children had a stomach bug that was nasty, which they lovingly gave to their mother so she could puke all Christmas Eve night.

We visited one another (some of us) separately and from a distance. 

Now Daughter and Husband are sick - sore throats, congestion, lethargy. And I have become an elderberry syrup-aholic.

The good: During my physical disruption and illness and afterward, I was shown so much love. I shiver to think about it. Of course, Husband and Daughter were champs and took care of me like they thought I was irreplaceable. So many friends brought me good stuff, food for me and my family, presents I love, and their companionship, which was the best. I know I can't repay them, but I hope they know how much I love them.

Daughter wasn't hurt in that wreck, other than a slightly sore neck and fear of driving in that curve again. Her neck is healed, and she's driving that curve a little braver every day.

After our cat was given the death sentence but recovered, we were able to have another month with him before he succumbed to another illness. That month was filled with warmth and love.

Christmas Eve was met with Daughter and I cooking a big dinner for us and Boyfriend. The works: baked chicken and dressing, sweet potato casserole, green onions, cucumbers, radishes, yeast rolls, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes and green beans.

The can of green beans was the very last jar from the very last canning Mother and I did together. It will be our last canning, and we both know it. Made me feel very sad. She's had to give up most of what was her outside life - pound cakes that everyone begged for, the best fried chicken and hush puppies on the planet, making the dressing instead of Daughter and me making it, canning. Notice how all this revolves around food? She still wants you to eat if you come to the house, even if she can't cook it anymore.

What do I hope for this  new year?  No more wheel chair, ever. Better health, less pain. A connected, loving family. No tragedies. 

I guess the same thing everyone else wishes for.

Happy New Year to you all.

No comments :

Post a Comment