Friday, November 17, 2017

I Don't Understand

Many years ago, when I was a workin' woman, I drove a Mercedes Benz circa 1985. We bought her when Daughter was about 9 months old, so the car was already five years old.

But it was a Mercedes. Well, I loved that car. I still do, but I can't drive it because the foot feed is extremely hard to push and the seats are tilted in a way that makes me feel like I'm undergoing torture.

Anyway, I was in town for something, and when I turned the ignition key to off, the car kept running. No matter how many times I tried, the car would not turn off.

So, somewhat alarmed, I pulled into the nearest garage. I told the feller the problem. He got in, got out, and said, "Ma'am, your car is cut off."

Very funny, I thought. "Then explain to me how it is I drove it here, and can still hear it running, even as we speak."

There. Take that.

He launched into a rather long speech about how a diesel doesn't have to have electricity to operate, and as long as it has fuel, it will run. then he said, "Blah, blah, celluloid injection pump blah, blah, blah."

It sounded pretty much the same as every time my car has ever torn up. 

Anyway, he showed me how to push a button or turn a lever or something that would turn the engine off until some sort of part could be ordered re-connecting the engine to the rest of the car.

Doesn't it seem to you (if you are a mechanic, stay out of this) that the car should have stopped working completely, instead of continuing to run if something was broken?

Just askin'.

No comments :

Post a Comment