Friday, March 24, 2017

It All Started With A Titmouse (pardon my French)

It all started with a Titmouse. It was a big Titmouse, and I've always heard big ones cause the most disturbance.

Husband put up a clear feeder for me. It's suctioned to the kitchen window. Eli, our Maine Coon, loves to sit in the chair, with his head slightly bent (so he's hiding), tail going one  hundred miles an hour. 

Apparently a Titmouse cracks open a seed before he eats it. He (or she) has started banging on the perch of the feeder. It's so loud it sounds like someone is knocking.

Which is what Bonnie thought. She came tearing through the house, using her deep "I'll get the burglar" bark. Careening around the corner into the kitchen, she ran smack into Eli, who did not appreciate it.

He bowed up big, hissed and growled.

Now, Eli is the alpha animal in our house. But Frost, the oldest cat, is the patriarch.

Anytime he hears another animal in distress, he comes, growling like a lion, tail as big as my fist. He means business.

So, the cats chased the dog into the sun room.

Naturally, I was on the phone with Mother. I told her to hold on twice, in a loud, panicked voice, but she kept on yammering away, so I had to holler at the animals in her ear. 

Bonnie was cowed down, looking up at me in a "Do something" kind of way.

Now, even if you add both cat's weight, it still isn't quite half of what Bonnie weighs.

But, of course, she knows they are "family", even if it's crazy, armed, dangerous family, and she isn't allowed to hurt them.

Also, if I had a 19 pound (fat) furious cat and a 21 pound (not fat, all bone and muscle) cat circling me, growling and hissing, bowed up like a prize fighter, I'd be a little worried too, no matter how much I weighed.

I told Eli to get, and he did.  Frost doesn't mind as well, so I had to come between him and Bonnie. This isn't as dangerous as it would be with Eli, as Frost is de-clawed. He doesn't know this, apparently.
(and don't fuss on me, he was de-clawed when he got him at the shelter).

I got back to Mother. "What in world is going on?" She asked.

I told her.

"Well, my goodness."

I'll say.

No comments :

Post a Comment