Saturday, October 20, 2012

Oh Deer!

This morning, as I was eating breakfast and gazing out at the autumn beauty of the woods, I saw two deer come into the yard, nosing around for food that we leave out for birds.

It reminded me of a few years back, before The Fall (not Adam and Eve but my falling down and changing my life forever). After work, I would walk for twenty  minutes, three evenings a week.

This particular evening it was snowing, and there was already an inch or so on the ground. My world seemed absolutely silent. I couldn't even hear my own footsteps.

As I topped a rise in the road, I was brought to an abrupt halt. Standing before me were at least twelve deer, the nearest one so close I could have reached out and touched it.

They were as startled as I, and for several seconds nobody moved. They stared at me, I stared at them.

Have you ever noticed how large and pointy a buck's rack is? Have you ever noticed that deer are pretty big?

For a moment I thought I was going to be trampled by a herd of deer, and my heart began to pump rapidly.

I smiled tentatively at them and said, "Hey."

The one nearest me stomped the ground, huffed, and started them all doing the same.

The next word I said I can't print, but it was sorta like "Oh, dear!" Only spelled differently.

The the buck, who was on the other side of the herd from me, stomped and huffed and took off - in the other direction. The does followed him, and soon all I saw were the white flags of their tails as they disappeared over the ridge.

Now, never in my life would I have thought I'd be afraid of Bambi's family.

But I was.

No comments :

Post a Comment